Online Education and Degree Programs in Naturopathy
Naturopathy, also known as natural medicine, is a practice of treating disease using natural remedies rather than drugs and surgery. Online doctoral programs train naturopathic doctors in natural remedies including nutrition, herbal remedies, massage, acupuncture and exercise, and require minimum clinical and field experiences with a local naturopathic medicine practice.
Requirements for Online Naturopathy Degrees
Online degree programs in naturopathy are typically graduate-level programs that require four years of full-time doctoral study and culminate in a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) or a Naturopathic Medical Doctor (N.M.D.). Admission to an N.D. or N.M.D. program requires a bachelor's degree or higher.
Most online naturopathy programs are semi-self-paced, guided and mentored independent study. Online naturopathy programs may be accredited by the American Natural Medicine Accreditation Board (ANMAB). An internet connection, specific software and basic computer skills are required.
Students are required to take all of the same basic science classes as a student in an M.D. program, but must also take classes specific to naturopathy. The following classes are an example of the typical naturopathic curriculum:
- Nutrition and health for body, mind and spirit
- Psychology of healing
- Legal guidelines for naturopathy
- Philosophy and ethics
- Naturopathic history
Clinical education and externships are typically required by naturopathic online degree programs. Clinical education requirements for online programs are met by shadowing a local professional or at a local institution where the student experiences situations they may encounter as a naturopathic doctor. Clinical education usually consists of around 400 contact hours.
Externships are also a typical requirement of online naturopathy education programs. These externships require the student to work in a naturopathic practice. Most degree programs require around 2,000 externship contact hours for graduation.
Fourteen states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands require licensing of naturopathic doctors. The licensing and regulation requirements vary by state, but all require the naturopathic doctor to have graduated from a doctoral-level college program. Some states may require the graduate to pass the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam (NPLEX) or to be certified by the American Naturopathy Certification Board (ANCB).
Related to Online Degree in Naturopathy
- Recently Updated
Naturopathy is a term referring to alternative or complementary medicine. The field consists of holistic practitioners...
Naturopathy is a medical specialty in which the practitioner tries to get the patient's own body to heal itself. If...
Naturopathy combines holistic and alternative medicine with scientific technique. Doctoral programs in naturopathy...
A Doctor of Philosophy degree in naturopathy doesn't exist, but individuals interested in the field can pursue a...
- Online Public Schools with Distance Learning Programs: How to Choose
- Online School Administration and Supervision Certificate Programs
- Online Post-MBA Certification and Certificate Programs
- Top Ranked Culinary School - New York, NY
- Top Business University - Charlotte, NC
- Top Bachelor Degree Programs in Computer Programming - Chicago, IL
- Top University with Human Resource Management Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- Iridology Schools and Colleges with Training Information
- Alternative Medicine Majors: Information and Requirements
- Vote Online for the 2011 OCW People's Choice Awards
- The Cheapest and Most Valuable Thing in the World Is Not What You Think
- Top University Degree Programs in Computer Engineering - Elk Grove, CA