Online Statistics Course: Find Free Stats Courses Online
Accredited colleges and universities around the world have started offering course content online through the OpenCourseWare (OCW) project and the Open Learning Initiative (OLI). Free college-level statistics courses are available from many well-known institutions, such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University and Johns Hopkins University.
Where Can I Find Free Statistics Courses Online?
The following universities offer college-level statistics courses online. Although students cannot use their time online to earn college credit towards a degree or certificate program, much of the content of these courses is available to self-learners for free and without the need for registration or enrollment.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) first launched its OpenCourseWare site in 2000. Today, the school publishes almost its entire undergraduate and graduate course content online for free. Many undergraduate and graduate-level statistics courses are available through MIT's mathematics OCW program, including:
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Statistics for Applications
- Statistical Learning Theory and Applications
- Mathematical Statistics
University of Massachusetts - Boston
The University of Massachusetts - Boston (UMass Boston) is in the process of building their OpenCourseWare offerings. Although the university currently only makes a small percentage of their courses available online, it is committed to growing the OCW site to include course materials from all faculty who are willing to participate. Currently, UMass Boston OCW offers two free statistics course:
- Introduction to Applied Statistics
- Applied Statistics
The Open University, based in the United Kingdom, was founded with the mission of providing quality online learning. It has an open admissions policy, and enrolled students can earn a degree or certificate online. However, the school also offers many courses for free via an OpenLearn website, The Learning Space. Statistics courses offered through OU OpenLearn include:
- Finding Information in Mathematics and Statistics
- Getting Started with SPSS
Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a participant in the Open Learning Initiative, a sister project to OpenCourseWare. The OLI gathers data on student learning in order to provide feedback to instructors and course designers with the goal of creating useful, scientifically-based online courses that are available for free to all. OLI statistics courses offered through CMU include:
- Probability and Statistics
- Statistical Reasoning
- Causal and Statistical Reasoning
- Empirical Research Methods
Johns Hopkins University
The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University (JHSPH) offers its most popular courses online via OpenCourseWare. The school's mission is to provide equal and open access to information about public health challenges and their solutions. The courses are, therefore, all related in some fashion to issues in world health. Statistics-related OpenCourseWare courses at JHSPH include:
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Biostatistics for Medical Product Regulation
- Biostatistics Lecture Series
- Methods in Biostatistics I
- Methods in Biostatistics II
- Statistics for Laboratory Scientists I
- Statistics for Laboratory Scientists II
- Statistics for Psychosocial Research: Structural Models
- Statistics in Psychosocial Research: Measurement
Related to Online Statistics Course
- Recently Updated
Choosing an online statistics school depends upon the desired award level and the type of distance learning program. Graduate...
For-profit schools have recently come under fire for presenting prospective students with falsified job placement statistics,...
In 2010, President Obama publicly announced a goal of increasing the rate of college graduation in the United States. It's...
In tough economic times, it may seem as though the job market's future is hopeless, but according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor...
- Careers in Statistics
- Grim Illiteracy Statistics Indicate Americans Have a Reading Problem
- Top Schools for Statistics
- Sports Massage Therapist: Job Description, Requirements & Training Info
- Hairdresser: Career Profile
- Loan Document Specialist: Job Description and Requirements
- Salary and Career Info for Senior IT Managers