Online Training Programs in Gerontology
Distance training in gerontology is often offered through online graduate certificate programs and individual courses and seminars. Students explore all aspects of aging and learn to care for the growing number of elderly. Read on to learn more.
Through an online program in gerontology, students become familiar with how the elderly think and act. They learn specific techniques for providing quality patient care to an aging population.
Online graduate certificate programs typically can be completed in one year; however, individuals who want a lighter course load might be able to extend the program to two years. In some cases, several universities come together to offer a program, allowing students to take courses from educators who are the most knowledgeable in the field of gerontology.
Graduate-level programs typically require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related area. Individuals interested in taking stand-alone courses might be able to do so as non-degree seeking students; however, instructor approval might be required.
In a graduate certificate program, students might complete gerontology courses related to a specific field, such as public health, law, social work, nursing or rehabilitation. Some sample course titles are listed below:
- Healthcare and the elderly
- Social and cultural issues in aging
- Perspectives on disability
- Sociology of aging
- Family life of the aging population
- Memory and cognition
- Aging, death and dying
Gerontology programs often require an internship experience, which is set up through the school. This gives students the opportunity to work in an assisted living facility and apply what they've learned through courses to provide care to an aging population. This is usually completed over the summer.
Online Learning Details
Most courses are offered in asynchronous format, allowing students to complete studies at their pace while adhering to assignment deadlines. Some programs are offered as a cohort, allowing the same group of students to go through the program together.
In most cases, students take online courses in gerontology through Blackboard or a similar program that allows them to access coursework, lectures and lecture notes and interact with classmates. Participation in online class discussions may be required, and students might need to secure a proctor for exams. Most schools also feature electronic libraries, which include e-books, e-journals and other texts, for students taking an online program.
According to the National Academy on an Aging Society, aging baby boomers and longer life spans will double the population of Americans over age 65 between 2007-2030, for a total of about 71 million older adults. This could lead to a wide variety of career options in gerontology.
Related to Online Training Programs in Gerontology
- Recently Updated
Find out what students learn in an online master's degree program in gerontology, and discover how online programs work....
See educational program options for the gerontology major. Learn about course topics and the educational prerequisites for such...
Read up on some of the top gerontology schools in the nation. Go over a list of these schools and learn about the program...
Learn about the course topics and themes that are part of a master's degree program in gerontology. Find out about program...
- PhD in Gerontology: Degree Program Information
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology: Program Summary
- How to Become a Gerontology Aide: Education and Career Roadmap
- Dean of Students: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Programs - San Diego, CA
- Top Ranked University for a Degree in Criminal Justice - Knoxville, TN
- Forensics Lab Technician: Salary, Duties and Requirements
- Salary and Career Info for a Masters in Gerontology Degree
- Online Herbalist Degree Programs and Training Information
- Top School in Kansas City, MO, for an Information Technology Degree
- Property and Casualty Actuary: Job Description and Requirements
- Top School in Baltimore to Become a Computer Programmer