Personal Assistant Job Description, Duties and Career Options
Personal assistants, also called executive secretaries, provide administrative support for top-level managers of companies and organizations. Their work involves information management tasks that often require higher level thinking. Assistants with 4-year college degrees are in increasing demand.
Personal Assistant: Job Description
Personal assistants are highly organized, detail-oriented multi-taskers who can work under pressure and meet deadlines. They may specialize in particular fields, such as public relations, advertising or manufacturing. Having a business-related degree is a great advantage in the job market.
Duties of Personal Assistants
Personal assistants analyze, respond to and send out communications. Since they usually work in close proximity to top management, they generally need to pay particular attention to maintaining a professional appearance and manner. Some personal assistants, however, work from home and perform their job duties remotely.
The core skills needed to be successful include touch-typing and the use of desktop publishing and other office software programs. Since much of their responsibility involves the preparation of documents, personal assistants generally need strong writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar skills. They also manage documents by organizing both electronic and paper files; some companies may also ask personal assistants set up or maintain a corporate library. Finally, some companies or industries require assistants to have the ability to read, write and speak a foreign language.
Personal assistants maintain executive schedules, organize and attend meetings, make travel arrangements and record minutes. Other duties may include completing personal tasks for executives, such as shopping for gifts.
Career Options for Personal Assistants
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), secretaries and administrative assistants comprise the largest occupation in the country (www.bls.gov). Employment was expected grow at an average rate during the decade ending in 2018. Personal assistants with the strongest software and typing skills will fare best on the job market. Median annual earnings for such top-level executive secretaries and administrative assistants were $40,030 as of May, 2008.
One way to advance in this field is to be certified for office-skill proficiency. Certification is issued after a review of a personal assistant's education, experience and successful completion of tests. Various certifications are offered by organizations such as the International Association of Administrative Professionals and the International Virtual Assistants Association.
Related to Personal Assistants
- Recently Updated
A personal assistant works to manage the calendars and meet the daily needs of corporate executives and other...
Research the requirements to become a personal assistant. Learn about the job duties, and read the step-by-step...
Executive personal assistants work closely with top executives of a business or other organization. They usually work...
Prospective students interested in becoming personal care assistants can enroll in a certificate program offered by a...
- Personal Care Assistant: Job Description and Info for Students Wanting to Become a Personal Care Assistant
- Cardiovascular Physical Therapy Assistant: Job Information for a Career in Cardiovascular Physical Therapy Assisting
- Top Nursing School - Bakersfield, CA
- Top Healthcare Administration Degrees - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Psychology Degree Program - Atlanta, GA
- Best School for Global Management and International Business Degrees - Houston, TX
- Top Degree Programs for Human Resource Management - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Computer Engineering and Computer Electronics Degrees - Mesa, AZ
- Become an Astrophysicist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Best School for Electronics and Electrical Engineering - Phoenix, AZ
- Top Degrees for Electronics Technology - Indianapolis, IN
- Top Ranked University with CAD Drafting and Design Technology Degrees - Kansas City, MO