Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work
Students of Capella University's Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work program have the opportunity to develop counseling, communication, leadership, and research skills they can apply to upper management or executive positions in the field of social services. Learn more about this online doctoral degree program here.
Official Program Name:
Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work
School Offering Program:
Counseling experience, a master's degree, and an educational background in psychology, social work, or mental health administration are helpful for potential students of Capella University's Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work program. Applicants to Capella University who are under 24 years of age must have completed at least two years of college or have active military status; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Capella University's Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work program combines an advanced education in social work concepts and theories with coursework in other areas of specialization such as psychology, education, and human services. Topics addressed in required coursework include clinical practices in social work, social worker leadership roles and responsibilities, behavioral issues, intervention theories, technological tools, and research methods. Upon completion of the required courses, students can choose from courses covering psychotherapy, educational theories, counseling, and physical and mental health. Students must also complete a series of research courses designed to assist them in the development and completion of a dissertation.
Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Students enrolled in Capella University have several opportunities to reduce their tuition costs, including employer reimbursement programs, veterans benefit programs, tuition discounts through corporate alliances, U.S. Armed Forces education benefits, and credit transfers. Federal and non-federal loans and grants are available to qualifying students.
Required Courses for a Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- DSW 8002: Advanced Knowledge of Social Work (6 credits)
- DSW 8120: Contemporary Issues in Social Work (6 credits)
- DSW 8130: Leadership in Social Work (6 credits)
- DSW 8140: Technology in Social Work (6 credits)
- DSW 8150: Methods of Inquiry in Action Research (6 credits)
- DSW 8160: Applying Action Research (6 credits)
- DW-R 8001: Professional Dissertation Writer's Retreat (0 credits)
- DSW 9920: Action Research Dissertation Courseroom (0 credits)
- DSW 9921: Action Research Dissertation 1 (5 credits)
- DSW 9922: Action Research Dissertation 2 (5 credits)
- DSW 9923: Action Research Dissertation 3 (5 credits)
- DSW 9924: Action Research Dissertation 4 (5 credits)
- Choose four or five of the following courses (18 credits):
- ED 7310: Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Educational Process (4 credits)
- ED 7311: Theory and Methods of Educating Adults (4 credits)
- ED 7540: Leadership in Higher Education (4 credits)
- CST 8731: Psychopathology: Assessment and Treatment (4 credits)
- CST 8739: Theories of Psychotherapy (4 credits)
- CST 8754: Child and Adolescent Counseling (4 credits)
- CST 8758: Mental Health and Aging (4 credits)
- CST 8779: Life Planning and Career Development (4 credits)
- HS 6001: Practicum 1: Short-Term Supervised Field Experience (4 credits)
- HS 8106: Epistemology of Practical Knowledge (4 credits)
- HS 8103: Principles and Practices of Social Work (4 credits)
- HS 8108: Financial Analysis and Reporting for Nonprofit Executives (4 credits)
- HS 8413: Social Influences of Behavior (4 credits)
- HS 8478: The Family in Social Context (4 credits)
- PSY 8610: Principles of Health Psychology (5 credits)
- PSY 8650: Innovative Health Care Practices (5 credits)
- PSY 8670: Cognitive/Affective Basis of Physical Illness (5 credits)
- PSY 8750: Managing Psychological Services (5 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Upon completion of Capella University's Doctor of Social Work in General Social Work program, graduates could seek directorial or management positions in a variety of professional settings, including community centers, clinics, government agencies, or nonprofit organizations. They could oversee the development and operation of programs for family development, substance abuse, youth counseling, and corrections. They might also become consultants or seek academic careers in a college or university.
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.
Get your customized answers
Simply complete the form below to get program details, tuition, start dates, financial aid, and how to choose the right program for you.