MS in Instructional Design for Online Learning
Capella University's Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning program gives students the opportunity to learn about the instructional design process. Keep reading to find out more about the Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning program at Capella.
To speak to an enrollment advisor, please call 1-877-210-8055
Official Program Name:
Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning
School Offering Program:
Potential applicants to the Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning program should be interested in learning how to create instructional information. Applicants to Capella University who are under 24 years of age must have completed at least two years of college or have active military status; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Capella University's Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning program includes core courses intended to focus on scholarly inquiry, communication, and research methodologies. Specialization courses give students the opportunity to learn about instructional design strategies and process, instructional material evaluation, project management, ethical issues, instructional media, e-learning development, instructional intervention design, and learning assessment. Students might complete an internship or capstone course. To complete this program, students also select two elective courses that could teach online learning communities, adult education theories, research and writing, or needs assessment.
Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Students enrolled in Capella University have several opportunities to reduce their tuition costs, including employer reimbursement programs, veterans benefit programs, tuition discounts through corporate alliances, U.S. Armed Forces education benefits, and credit transfers. Federal and non-federal loans and grants are available to qualifying students.
Required Courses for a Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- ED 5002: Foundations of Theory and Practice in Master's Studies (4 credits)
- ED 5006: Survey of Research Methodology (4 credits)
- ED 5802: Principles of Instructional Design (4 credits)
- ED 5803: Processes of Instructional Design (4 credits)
- ED 5807: Design of Instructional Media (4 credits)
- ED 5810: Project Management for e-Learning Development (4 credits)
- ED 7484: Applications of Learning Theories to Instructional Design (4 credits)
- ED 7505: Evaluation and Assessment of Instructional Design (4 credits)
- ED 6895: Instructional Design for Online Learning Internship (4 credits) OR ED 5992: Instructional Design for Online Learning Capstone (4 credits)
- Select one of the following:
- ED 5804: The Delivery of Distance Education (4 credits)
- ED 7503: Instructional Media Tools (4 credits)
- ED 7814: Interface Design (4 credits)
- Students must complete two elective courses. Although they could choose any graduate courses, recommended courses include:
- ED 5312: Strategies for Building Online Learning Communities (4 credits)
- ED 7006: Research and Writing for Graduate Learners (4 credits)
- ED 7311: Theory and Methods of Educating Adults (4 credits)
- ED 7641: Needs Assessment: Models and Procedures (4 credits)
Potential Career Paths:
After earning the Master of Science in Instructional Design for Online Learning from Capella students could be able to seek employment in the instructional design field. Their work might include designing, developing, or evaluating instructional materials.
Positions students could be interested in include:
- Course editor
- Curriculum developer
- Director of instructional material
- Instructional coordinator
- Instructional design consultant
- Instructional design specialist
- Instructional designer
- Instructional developer
- Training developer
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.