PhD in General Business Management
Professionals seeking to expand their business skills and knowledge of management theories and practices could benefit by enrolling in Capella University's Ph.D. in General Business Management program. Read on for more information about this online doctoral degree program.
Official Program Name:
Ph.D. in General Business Management
School Offering Program:
Prospective students of Capella University's Ph.D. in General Business Management program should have a master's degree, an academic background in management or business administration, and have current experience in a corporate environment. Applicants to Capella University who are under 24 years of age must have completed at least two years of college or have active military status; some programs may have additional admissions requirements.
Capella University's Ph.D. in General Business Management program at Capella University offers a diverse business education emphasizing the development of leadership, organizational, and research skills for students seeking career advancement or enhancement. Required courses address business strategies, management techniques, and concepts in marketing, accounting, finance, and operations. Students will have the opportunity to learn problem-solving processes, research methods, leadership theories, planning strategies, and global business practices. A series of research courses help students develop and complete a dissertation. They can also choose from three seminars focusing on fundamental practices in teaching, consulting, or executive leadership.
Total Credits Required:
Financial Aid Available:
Students enrolled in Capella University have several opportunities to reduce their tuition costs, including employer reimbursement programs, veterans benefit programs, tuition discounts through corporate alliances, U.S. Armed Forces education benefits, and credit transfers. Federal and non-federal loans and grants are available to qualifying students.
Required Courses for a Ph.D. in General Business Management:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Capella University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- PHB 8004: Theory and Practice in Business (4 credits)
- OM 7020: Marketing Strategy and Practice (4 credits)
- OM 7040: Accounting and Financial Management (4 credits)
- OM 7050: Ethics and Social Responsibility (4 credits)
- PHB 7075: Organizational Systems and Leadership (4 credits)
- PHB 8012: Strategy, Planning, and Operations in Business (4 credits)
- OM 8020: Quantitative Research Techniques (4 credits)
- OM 8021: Management Theory Creation (4 credits)
- OM 8022: Survey of Applied Research Methods (4 credits)
- PHB 8024: Advanced Research: Mixed-Methods Research Designs (4 credits)
- Choose one of the following:
- OM 8910: Teaching Practice Seminar (4 credits)
- OM 8920: Leadership Practice Seminar (4 credits)
- OM 8930: Consulting Practice Seminar (4 credits)
- PHB 9919: Doctoral Comprehensive Examination (4 credits)
- PHB 9920: Dissertation Courseroom (0 credits)
- PHB 9921: Dissertation Research 1 (5 credits)
- PHB 9922: Dissertation Research 2 (5 credits)
- PHB 9923: Dissertation Research 3 (5 credits)
- PHB 9924: Dissertation Research 4 (5 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Graduates of Capella University's Ph.D. in General Business Management program could seek senior management or executive-level positions in almost any type of industry. They could become leaders in a wide range of business disciplines, including human resources, finance, or marketing. A doctoral degree could also lead to academic or consulting careers.
Positions graduates could pursue include:
- Chief executive officer
- Chief operating officer
- Chief financial officer
- Human resources director
- Management consultant
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.
Get your customized answers
Simply complete the form below to get program details, tuition, start dates, financial aid, and how to choose the right program for you.