AAS in Medical Office Management
Students enrolled in Kaplan University's Associate of Applied Science in Medical Office Management program have the opportunity to acquire industry knowledge in medical law and ethics, medical terminology, medical coding, and others. Learn more about the AAS in Medical Office Management program here.
Official Program Name:
Associate of Applied Science in Medical Office Management
School Offering Program:
Associate of Applied Science
Kaplan University's Associate of Applied Science in Medical Office Management program is designed to help students prepare for administrative positions in doctors' offices, clinics, and hospitals. Coursework in the program gives students the opportunity to develop the technical skills, work habits, and knowledge they'll need to pursue entry-level positions. Students who complete the AAS degree program could be eligible to take the certification exam administered by the American Medical Technologists to become a Certified Medical Administrative Specialist (CMAS).* To graduate, students must not only complete all major coursework, but they must also complete a 90-hour supervised clinical externship and complete all general education requirements.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
91 credits. Kaplan University defines an academic year as the time in which a full-time student is expected to complete three terms of instructional time. Full-time students are expected to complete at least 36 credit hours within the academic year.
Financial Aid Available:
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Aid opportunities include federal grants; military aid; and federal, state, and private lending programs.
Required Courses for an Associate of Applied Science in Medical Office Management:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Kaplan University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- Academic Strategies for the Health Care Professional (5 credits)
- Medical Law and Bioethics (5 credits)
- Medical Terminology (5 credits)
- Software Applications for Health Care Professionals (3 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology I (5 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology II (5 credits)
- Diseases of the Human Body (5 credits)
- Medical Office Management (5 credits)
- Medical Insurance and Billing (3 credits)
- Medical Coding I (4 credits)
- Medical Office Accounting (3 credits)
- Professionalism in Health Care (2 credits)
- Medical Records Management (3 credits)
- Medical Office Applications (5 credits)
- Advanced Medical Office Management (5 credits)
- Medical Office Management Externship and Evaluation (3 credits)
- 100/200-level: Communication Course (5 credits)
- 100/200-level: Mathematics Course (5 credits)
- 200-level: Communication Course (5 credits)
- Open Electives (10 credits)
Furthering Your Education:
Graduates of Kaplan University's AAS in Medical Office Management program could further build their skill set and knowledge base by enrolling in a bachelor's degree program. Students who complete bachelor's degrees could be more competitive in the job market or be qualified for a wider range of positions.
Bachelor's degree programs that could interest students include (but are not limited to):
- Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
In the course of completing the AAS in Medical Office Management program, students could develop a variety of skills, including skills in medical records management, insurance processing, financial management, and medical coding and billing. These skills could prepare students for careers in medical office management.
Positions that graduates of this program could pursue include:
- Medical billing technician
- Medical office assistant
- Medical records manager
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.