Master of Science in Legal Studies
Kaplan University's Master of Science in Legal Studies program offers students the opportunity to gain a basic understanding of the legal process and principles. Learn more about Kaplan University's MS in Legal Studies program here.
Official Program Name:
Master of Science in Legal Studies
School Offering Program:
Master of Science
Kaplan University's Master of Science in Legal Studies combines a core foundation of courses with one of four intensive study areas. The core curriculum offers a basic understanding of the legal process, ethics, legal writing, and jurisprudence. After completing the core requirements, students can choose electives that focus on one of the following areas: education and the legal system, health care delivery, legal system and the media, and state and local government. The intensive study portion of the curriculum uses a problem-based approach designed to teach students how the law and legal principles interact with social, political, and economic institutions.
Program Length/Total Credits Required:
55 credits. Kaplan University defines an academic year as the time in which a full-time student is expected to complete 24 credit hours in 30 weeks.
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Aid opportunities include federal grants; military aid; and federal, state, and private lending programs.
Required Courses for a Master of Science in Legal Studies:
Degree program and course requirements are subject to change. Contact Kaplan University to confirm the most accurate information before enrolling in a program.
- LS 500: Legal Method and Process (5 credits)
- LS 501: Ethics and the Professional (5 credits)
- LS 502: Legal Research, Analysis and Writing (5 credits)
- LS 503: Jurisprudence and Legal History (5 credits)
- LS 504: Applied Action Research in Legal Studies (5 credits)
- LS 698: Applied Action Research Project (5 credits)
- Legal Studies Core Elective (choose one of the following, 5 credits)
- LS 506: Understanding Civil Responsibility
- LS 507: Understanding Criminal Responsibility
- LS 508: Family and the Legal System
- LS 509: Contracts as Private Law
Intensive Study Area Requirements (choose one of the following four tracks)
Education and the Legal System (Option 1)
- LS 515: Legal Foundations for the Formation of Colleges and Universities (5 credits)
- LS 516: Rules and Regulations Governing Higher Education (5 credits)
- LS 517: Management of Institutions of Higher Education (5 credits)
Health Care Delivery (Option 2)
- LS 620: Health Care Organizations and Finance (5 credits)
- LS 621: Federalism and the Health Care Delivery System (5 credits)
- LS 622: Professionals and Health Care Institutions (5 credits)
Legal System and the Media (Option 3)
- LS 510: Intellectual Property and Digital Entertainment (5 credits)
- LS 511: Music Content IP--Building Blocks of the Music Business (5 credits)
- LS 512: Current and Future Issues in Music Law (5 credits)
State and Local Government (Option 4)
- LS 605: Organization and Function of State Government (5 credits)
- LS 606: Legislative Process (5 credits)
- LS 607: Gubernatorial and Administrative Process (5 credits)
Post Graduation Opportunities
Graduates of Kaplan University's Master of Science in Legal Studies have the opportunity to gain knowledge of the legal process, dispute resolution, jurisprudence, and legal history. Students use real-world examples to help develop an understanding of how the law and legal principles interact with economic, social, and political problems. These skills could be applicable to a variety of legal careers.
Positions graduates could pursue include:
- Risk management analyst
- Insurance regulator
- Nonprofit administrator
- Legal administrator
Tuition, Financial Aid & Start Dates
Since every student is different, there isn't a "one size fits all" school information. Start dates and tuition often vary between selected programs, and financial aid opportunities are unique to each student's situation. Complete the form to the right to get the most up-to-date and accurate information based on your selected program and circumstances.
Still have questions?
Complete this form to request more info and get your answers & advice.
Get your customized answers
Simply complete the form below to get program details, tuition, start dates, financial aid, and how to choose the right program for you.