Program Manager Certification and Certificate Program Information
Learn about certificate programs that prepare professionals to manage projects and programs. Find out about professional certification in this field, as well as some popular career options.
Certificates in program management are designed for professionals who have undergraduate degrees and are responsible for ensuring the success of time-sensitive projects and programs. Many project management certificate programs offer courses in program management. However, a certificate in project management may not cover issues associated with program management. Program management certificates typically take nine months to one year to complete.
Program management certificate programs focus on increasing lines of communication between team members, controlling costs associated with programs, reducing program risk and using software tools to chart program and project progress. Many certificate programs allow students to choose electives focused in an area of interest relevant to their particular industry. Courses also provide preparation for the program management professional (PgMP) certification exam, which is administered by the Project Management Institute.
A Certificate in Program Management is designed to apply program and project management skills to a variety of industries. Generally, admission into a program management course requires an undergraduate degree. Some applicants hold an advanced degree in an area such as business, engineering, information technology or marketing. Some universities may request a resume and some years of work experience with project and program management.
Students enrolled in a program management certificate courses will learn about issues related to managing and seeing through large-scale projects and programs. Some courses may include:
- MS Project 2007 and project management techniques
- Cost management
- Risk management
- Program control and monitoring
- Team building, leadership and management
- Program management practice and principles
- Reducing stakeholder risks
- Information technology and program management
Popular Career Options
Project and program managers work in a variety of senior positions within many industries. Job titles vary but have similar responsibilities.
- Data warehouse project manager
- Product development & engineering director
- Public works program manager
- Telecommunications project manager
Continuing Education Information
An exam given by the Project Management Institute (PMI) is required to earn the Program Management Professional credential. Eligibility is determined by having from four to seven years of experience in program management and having completed a minimum number of hours of program management training. Additionally, the Certified Project Manager (CPM) credential is available from the International Association of Project & Program Managers (IAPMM).
Related to Program Manager Certification
- Recently Updated
Dietary managers certificate programs provide training in basic nutritional principles, menu management, food preparation and...
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become a habilitation program manager. Get a quick view of the requirements...
Research the requirements to become a certified environmental manager. Learn about the job description, and read the...
Learn how to become a certified facilities manager. Research the job description and the education and certification...
- Program Manager: Employment Info & Career Requirements
- Apartment Manager Certifications and Certificate Programs
- Inventory Manager: Job Description & Requirements
- EEG Technician: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Biomedical Clinical Engineer: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Managing Director: Job Description & Requirements
- Help Desk Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Benefits Manager Certificate and Degree Program Options
- Become an Education Program Manager: Education and Career Roadmap
- Top Ranked Information Technology School - Los Angeles, CA
- Child Welfare Officer: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Psychology Degree: Top Ranked Psychology Program - Santa Ana, CA