Property Management Certification and Certificate Program Info
Research property management certificate programs. Get information about courses, certification options, requirements and job prospects to make an informed decision about your education.
Property Management Certificate
A certificate program in property management is designed to give students the knowledge and skills needed to manage and maintain residential and commercial real estate. Students learn about leases and ensuring a lease is enforceable under the law. Maintenance of a property, including systems, such as the furnace, is also covered in a program. Students are taught how to read building plans to be able to answer questions about a property and use technology to help with the management of properties. Most programs have no education prerequisites besides a high school diploma or an equivalent.
Courses are designed to help students become experts in the field of real estate and property management. Emphasis is also placed on real estate laws topics, such as fair housing and evictions. Other topics covered in a program may include:
- Real estate technology
- Maintenance and repair
- Property marketing
- Real estate economics
- Building systems
- Fundamentals of managing property
Popular Career Options
A property management certificate program enables students to qualify for work in several real estate related careers. Career options for graduates include:
- Property manager
- Real estate agent
- Property investor
Continuing Education and Certification Information
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employers may prefer to hire property managers who have a bachelor's or master's degree in a business or real estate related area (www.bls.gov). In a bachelor's degree program in property management or real estate, students learn to work with owners and tenants to ensure satisfaction with the management of the property. The program also helps students build a professional background in business. In addition to expanding their knowledge of real estate topics, individuals may gain experience and get a chance to do research in real estate topics through completing a master's program.
The BLS reports that all states require anyone who sells or buys property to hold a real estate license. Some states require licensing or certification of managers for certain types of properties, such as subsidized government housing.
To demonstrate expertise in property management, individuals may pursue professional certification voluntarily. One organization that offers certification in this field is the Institute of Real Estate Management (www.irem.org). This organization has a Certified Property Manager, Accredited Residential Manager and an Accredited Commercial Manager designation. Certifications can be awarded after meeting a variety of education, licensure and experience requirements, an exam and the completion of ethics classes.
Related to Property Management Certificate
- Recently Updated
Property management and maintenance involves the overall operation and upkeep of residential and commercial...
Research undergraduate and graduate certificate programs in crisis management. Learn about course topics, career...
Electricity management is a technical field wherein individuals install and monitor electrical systems while at the...
Retail managers oversee the day-to-day operations of stores and sales establishments. There are several academic and...
- Utilization Management Certification and Certificate Program Info
- Geriatric Management Certification and Certificate Information
- Acquisition Management Degree and Certification Information
- Top Health Care Administration Master's Programs - Dallas, TX
- Top Health Information Science Degrees - Houston, TX
- Best School for a Degree in Computer Networking - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Top Ranked School for Court Reporting - Columbus, OH
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Musical Merchandising and Management
- Career Information for a Degree or Certification in Construction Management, Carpentry or Inspection
- Top University with Human Resource Management Degree Programs - Phoenix, AZ
- 20 Prestigious University Libraries Than Can Be Accessed From Home
- 10 Useful Twitter Apps for Bloggers, Working Professionals and Students