Registered Dietitian Career Information and Education Requirements
Learn about the education and preparation needed to be a registered dietician. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about degree programs, job duties and certification requirements to find out if this is the career for you.
Registered dietitians evaluate the nutritional needs of individuals and groups to develop corresponding nutritional plans. They work in a variety of settings, including doctors' offices, government agencies, nursing homes, community health organizations, schools, home healthcare services, outpatient care centers and private practices. Registered dietitians must complete a degree program and internship, as well as pass the registration examination for dietitians.
|Required Education||Bachelor's degree in nutrition or dietetics|
|Other Requirements||Registered Dietician credential requires 1,200 hours of supervised experience and passing an exam|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||21% for all for dietitians and nutritionists|
|Average Salary (2013)*||$56,300 for all for dietitians and nutritionists|
Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Registered Dietitian Career Information
As food and nutrition experts, registered dietitians plan nutrition programs for clients or medical patients, promote healthy eating habits through education, plan menus for hospitals or schools, conduct nutrition research and provide nutritional counseling. Registered dietitians may also recommend dietary changes or nutritional programs to clients that address health issues, such as obesity, high blood pressure or heart disease.
Dietitians work in a variety of settings, including doctors' offices, government agencies, nursing homes, community health organizations, schools, home healthcare services, outpatient care centers and private practices. In clinical or community settings, dietitians perform management, consultant and research duties. Additional specialization areas include diabetes education, renal nutrition and pediatric nutrition.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there is expected to be a 21% increase in jobs for dietitians and nutritionists between 2012 and 2022 (www.bls.gov). Analysts believe this expected growth is the result of the rising interest in health and nutrition of the public, the aging population in particular. The BLS reported that as of May 2013, dietitians and nutritionists earned a mean annual salary of $56,300.
Registered Dietitian Education Requirements
Dietitians are typically required to have at least a bachelor's degree in nutrition or dietetics. Common courses include nutritional assessment, clinical nutrition, food systems management and nutrient metabolism. In addition to coursework, students may complete seminars, research, clinical experiences and internships.
While not necessary to practice as a dietitian, candidates may earn a Registered Dietitian (RD) credential through the American Dietetic Association's Commission on Dietetic Registration (www.cdrnet.org). Dietitians earn the credential upon completion of a bachelor's degree or academic coursework in dietetics, a supervised internship of at least 1,200 hours and the passage of the Registration Examination for Dietitians. RDs must complete a minimum of 75 hours of continuing education every five years to maintain certification.
Related to Be a Registered Dietician
- Recently Updated
Learn about what a registered dietitian does. Find out the education requirements and needed skills, in addition to the salary...
Get information on bachelor's and master's degree programs for dietitians. Learn about required courses, certification and...
Online courses can prepare you to earn the registered dietitian (RD) credential from the American Dietetic Association....
Registered dietitians provide measurable benefits to the public involving nutrition, health and the interaction between the...
- Schools for Aspiring Registered Dietitians: How to Choose
- How to Become a Pediatric Dietitian
- Clinical Dietitian: Job Outlook & Career Info
- Microsoft Certified Solution Developer: Certification & Career Info
- Driving School Instructor: Salary and Career Information
- Certified Nursing Home Administrator: Certification Requirements
- Childcare Manager: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Holistic Dietitian Degree and Certificate Program Information
- Be a Registered Municipal Clerk: Education and Career Roadmap
- Medical Program Manager: Job Description and Salary Information
- Top Graphic Design and Visual Communications Degree - Chicago, IL
- Top Electronics Technology Degree Program - Kansas City, MO
- Criminal Justice Degree Top College for Learning Justice Administration and Police Science - Tulsa OK
- Health Administration Top School for Healthcare Management and Health Services Administration - Sacramento CA
- Top Criminal Justice Degree Programs - Lexington KY
- Food and Beverage Management Degrees in Arizona