Restaurant Management Certificate Programs in Houston, TX
There are four schools within 40 miles of Houston, Texas, that have restaurant management certificate programs. Read an overview of three schools' programs, requirements and admission info and find out which school is the right one for you.
Houston, TX, Restaurant Management Schools with Certificate Programs
Individuals looking for restaurant management certificate programs in the Houston area have a few options to consider. This article discusses three schools, which are all less than 45 minutes from downtown. There is a table near the end of the article that compares important school statistics, as well as a short paragraph mentioning another relevant school option.
- Houston Community College offers a restaurant management certificate program at its Central College campus, which is situated 2.5 miles from downtown Houston.
- San Jacinto College gives students the chance to earn a certificate of technology in restaurant management at its Central Campus location in Pasadena, TX, which is 23.2 miles from downtown Houston.
- Students can earn a culinary management certificate at Alvin College, which is a smaller school located 33.1 miles from downtown.
Houston Community College
This school's restaurant management program is offered at the Central College campus. Credits earned in the certificate programs may also be used towards the associate's degree requirements.
Restaurant Management Certificate
Spanning 2 semesters, this program requires completion of 31 credits. Future restaurant managers take courses in sanitation and safety, beverage management, purchasing, elements of dining room service, special topics in restaurant management and food/beverage control. Students choose between a management cooperative education experience and an alternate approved capstone elective for certificate completion.
San Jacinto College
The restaurant management programs are offered at this school's Central Campus location in Pasadena, TX. Most of the courses required in the certificate program may also be used towards the associate's degree.
Certificate of Technology in Restaurant Management
Aspiring restaurant managers complete 42 credits in this 3-term program. The curriculum is designed to prepare students to work in a variety of food-related environments, including coffee shops, hotels, restaurants and cafeterias. Courses include basic food preparation, sanitation and safety, purchasing, nutrition, hospitality supervision, food production management and food and beverage controls. During the 2nd term, students complete a practicum or field experience in restaurant management or culinary arts/chef training.
Students seeking a smaller college experience might be interested in the program at Alvin College. Graduates of this school's culinary programs can also earn certifications offered by the American Culinary Federation.
Culinary Management Certificate
This 26-credit hour program can be completed in 3 semesters and is intended to serve as a complement to Alvin College's culinary arts certificate. The program includes courses in hospitality human resources management, food production and planning, sanitation and safety, nutrition, food and beverage controls and current events in culinary arts. In the final semester, students complete a computer course and a practicum that spans the entire semester.
Comparison of Schools
Choosing the right school can be difficult. The following table makes it easy to compare valuable school information, such as enrollment numbers, tuition rates and graduation rates.
|Houston Community College||San Jacinto College||Alvin College|
|School Type||2-year; public||2-year; public||2-year; public|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||63,015*||29,392*||5,129*|
|Campus Setting||Large city||Large suburb||Large suburb|
|Tuition and Fees (2011-2012)|| $1,625 in-district|
| $1,182 in-district|
| $1,432 in-district|
|% of Full-Time Beginning Undergraduates Receiving Some form of Financial Aid (2010-2011)||67%*||54%*||44%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2013)||N/A - Open admissions*||N/A - Open admissions*||N/A - Open admissions*|
|Retention Rate (2011)||69%*||66%*||60%*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||14% (26% transfer-out rate)*||11% (27% transfer-out rate)*||12% (27% transfer-out rate)*|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics.
Other School Option
Galveston College offers certificate and associate's degree options in culinary arts and hospitality management and is located about 42 miles from southern Houston.
Related to Restaurant Management Schools in Houston
- Recently Updated
Students interested in studying culinary management in Houston have a few schools to choose from. Read about the top local...
Students interested in studying restaurant and catering management in San Francisco, CA, have many schools to choose from. Read...
Scottsdale has few schools with restaurant management programs. Find the best program for you by reading about schools'...
Read about graduate degree programs in restaurant management. Explore educational prerequisites and program coursework, as well...
- Top School in Pittsburgh for a Restaurant Management Degree
- Top School in Orlando for a Restaurant Management Degree
- Top School in Pasadena for Restaurant & Catering Management Degrees
- Careers in Forensic Psychology: Overview of Options
- Top Colorado Springs University for a Psychology Bachelor's Degree
- Journalist: Journalism Career Education Summary
- Top School in Richmond, VA, for a Business Administration Degree
- Shoe Repair Worker Job Description and Requirements for Starting a Career As a Shoe Repair Worker
- Bachelor of Applied Science BAS Information Technology Degree Overview
- Video Camera Operator Employment Information and Requirements for Becoming a Video Camera Operator
- Palm Springs, California (CA) Colleges
Perfect School Search
- A - E
- F - N
- O - W
- Nearby States