Small Engine Repair Certification and Diploma Programs
Small engine mechanics work on marine equipment, lawnmowers, recreational vehicles and power equipment. A small engine repair diploma teaches students to diagnose small engine problems by understanding electrical, ignition, cooling and other systems in small engines. No industry certifications for small engine repairers exist at the time of this writing.
Diploma in Small Engine Repair
Diploma programs in small engine repair prepare students to work as small engine mechanics with small engine repair shops, rental companies and small engine dealerships. Students learn all aspects of small engines, including fuel, transmission and lubrication systems. Most programs allow students to focus on specific areas of small engine repair, such as marine mechanics, lawnmowers, power equipment or recreational vehicles. Students learn repair techniques through hands-on mechanical assignments and coursework. This diploma program may require one to two years of study.
Although some courses may take place in a traditional classroom setting, most courses take place in a shop, allowing students to learn using industry-standard equipment and tools. Students learn to assemble small engines, troubleshoot problems and repair various parts of a small engine. Students work on 2-stroke and 4-stroke power equipment, lawnmowers, boat engines and other small engines to gain a comprehensive understanding of small engine mechanical processes.
To enroll in a small engine repair diploma program, students must have high school diplomas or equivalent. Students are required to submit official transcripts, though SAT or ACT scores are not generally required.
Small engine repair schools conduct most courses in a shop setting. Common courses include the following:
- Small engine mechanical equipment
- Mechanical diagnosis and repair
- Small engine parts and processes
- Ignition, lubricating and cooling systems
- Small engine electrical and fuel systems
- Small engine rebuilding and maintenance
Employment Outlook and Career Information
With a small engine repair diploma, students can seek mechanical work with small engine repair shops, mechanical retail stores, equipment rental companies and other fields that utilize small engines. More than 70,000 small engine mechanic jobs existed in 2008, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS); more than one third of all small engine mechanics worked with vehicle and mechanical parts dealers, while others were employed by retail lawn and garden stores, rental companies and small engine maintenance shops (www.bls.gov). According to the BLS, small engine repair is expected to grow at an average pace from 2008 to 2018.
Continuing Education Information
A small engine repair diploma is sufficient for most small engine mechanic positions. The best way to increase salary and career prospects is to gain hands-on experience with small engines. Many employers provide on-the-job training for specific small engines or brands, allowing small engine technicians to specialize in one area of mechanical work. Small engine mechanics often become self-employed or progress toward working with motor vehicles and larger engines, according to the BLS.
Related to Small Engine Repair Certification
- Recently Updated
See our list of the top free online small engine repair courses. Learn about what courses are available and what...
Small engine repair programs, though prevalent on college campuses, are very rare online. Students may be able to find...
Find out how to become a small engine repair technician. Research the training requirements, and learn about the...
Find out how to become a small engine mechanic. Research the training requirements and learn about the experience you...
- Outboard Motor Repair Training and Career Information
- Online Boat Mechanic Schools: How to Choose
- Career Information for a Certification in Motorcycle Repair and Maintenance
- Top Architectural Drafting and CAD Degree Programs - Chicago, IL
- Top School for a Multimedia and Graphic Design - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked School for Electronics - Long Beach, CA
- Best School for Learning Professional Massage Therapy - Phoenix, AZ
- Motorcycle Mechanic: Job Description and Information for Those Interested in Repairing Motorcycles
- Schools for Aspiring ATV Technicians: How to Choose
- Top Ranked Instructional Leadership and Teaching Degrees - Atlanta, GA
- Top Culinary Arts School - Miami, FL
- Top Dental Assisting School - Philadelphia, PA