Special Education Certification and Certificate Programs for Teachers
Read about certificate programs and special education certifications for teachers here. This article also includes educational prerequisites, program coursework and employment outlook statistics.
Special education certification is required to teach in classrooms with learning-disabled or autistic students. Special education certificate programs are graduate-level courses of study intended for students who already hold bachelor's degrees.
Emphasizing teaching strategies and assessment techniques, these programs help teachers who have experience in other teaching disciplines earn the qualifications necessary to achieve special education certification. Special education certificate programs are also useful for teachers interested in broadening their skills for their current classrooms.
Graduate certificate programs in special education require applicants to possess an undergraduate degree. Many programs require students to have teaching experience, and occasionally students are required to have basic teaching certification. Typically, students are not required to submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Coursework in special education certificate programs offers instruction in the techniques and methods necessary for working in the special education classroom. Additionally, students are trained to understand various common types of learning disabilities. Coursework could include topics that are similar to some of the following:
- Introduction to student learning disabilities
- Theories and strategies for students with learning disabilities
- Working with autistic students
- Understanding auditory processing disorders
- Assessment techniques for children with special needs
- Understanding language development and literacy skills
- Current trends and issues in special education
Employment Outlook and Salary Info
The demand for special education teachers has risen in recent years since increasing numbers of students are being diagnosed with learning disabilities. This growing number is due to multiple factors, including the creation of better diagnostic tools to more thoroughly identify special needs. As of 2010, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that jobs for special education teachers were expected to rise 17% by 2020. The highest need for special education teachers will be at the elementary level, though there will be a significant need at the middle and secondary levels as well.
Median salaries for special education teachers, as of 2010, depended on the grade level of the students. Kindergarten and elementary special education teachers earned a median of $53,820, while middle school teachers earned $55,780 and high school teachers earned $56,830.
Continuing Education Information
The requirements for receiving certification as a special education teacher vary by state. Most states require teachers to first receive general education certification, and then meet requirement for the special education licensure. Requirements may include the completion of a certificate program, experience in a special education classroom and successful completion of an examination. Many states offer special education certification in a variety of specializations based on specific types of learning disabilities.
Related to Teach Special Ed Courses
- Recently Updated
Online certificates in special education are available to those who already hold a bachelor's degree in special education....
People interested in working with children with disabilities or gifted students can pursue studies in special education. Degree...
Within schools, special education programs are designed to help children who have disabilities ranging from hearing and seeing...
College can be an expensive venture for any student, but options are available that can help grads leave college debt free....
- Educating the Children of Fallen Warriors: Education Portal Speaks to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- Online Schools for Special Education Majors: How to Choose
- Special Education Associates Degree Program Overviews
- Freight Conductor: Job Description, Outlook and Salary
- Computer Engineering Technician: Education and Career Info
- Certified Teacher's Aide: Job Description and Requirements
- How to Become a Cop: Education and Career Roadmap
- Online Graduate Schools with Special Education Programs: How to Choose
- Online Special Education Graduate Courses Overview
- Child, Family and School Social Workers: Career Info and Requirements
- Become a Military Psychologist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Fashion Illustrator: Job Description, Duties and Salary