Surgical Technology Courses in Oregon with School Overviews
Research surgical technology courses in Oregon, which currently has two colleges offering programs. Read an overview of degree programs, tuition info and program options for these two schools, and decide which program is right for you.
Oregon has a community college as well as a 2-year private, for-profit college offering diploma and associate degree programs in surgical technology. The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredits the programs at both Oregon schools. Programs include didactic studies (classroom and lab courses) and hands-on clinical education in medical settings, which might be offered during the day or evening. The associate degree program is a limited-enrollment program with specific course prerequisites.
Students interested in working in surgical technology must complete a training program. Licensure is not required in Oregon; however, employers often prefer to hire surgical technologists who are certified. Certification can be obtained from organizations like the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). Keep reading to learn about the two schools in Oregon with surgical technology courses.
Concorde Career College - Portland
Through its Portland campus, Concorde Career College offers a surgical technology diploma program that students can complete in just under a year. The first six terms are spent completing classroom and laboratory courses, while students spend the final two terms at off-campus medical sites, where they complete approximately 500 contact hours of clinical practice. Within the 48-week program, students delve into microbiology, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and surgical techniques. This for-profit school also offers the program through 12 other campuses in five different states.
- Program Offered: Surgical Technology/Technologist Diploma
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $25,158 for surgical tech program*
- School Type & Setting: Two-year, private for-profit; large city
Mt. Hood Community College
Located in Gresham, Mt. Hood Community College has an Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology program. This restricted-entry program has specific admission requirements, including completing math, chemistry and biology prerequisite courses, that must be met before students can enroll. Students admitted into the program must attend a mandatory orientation session. The curriculum includes general education courses, health courses and four sequential surgical technology theory courses. Additionally, students complete clinical rotations the last three quarters of this six-quarter program. The surgical technology courses are held during the day, but clinical experiences might be held during the day or evening. Students take the NBSTSA certification exam prior to graduation. The student services division at Mt. Hood provides students with various resources like career planning and counseling, a learning success center, academic advising and computer lab resources.
- Program Offered: Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology
- Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013): $4,579 in-state; $9,979 out-of-state per year*
- School Type & Setting: Two-year, public; large suburb
School Comparison: At a Glance
|School Name||School Type & Setting||Surgical Technology Programs Offered||Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)|
|Concorde Career College - Portland||Two-year, private for-profit; large city||Surgical Technology/Technologist Diploma||$25,158 for surgical tech program*|
|Mt. Hood Community College||Two-year, public; large suburb||Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology||$4,579 in-state; $9,979 out-of-state per year*|
Source: *NCES College Navigator
Related to Surgical Technology Courses in Oregon
- Recently Updated
Surgical technologists are allied health professionals who work in operating rooms and assist surgeons during surgeries. These...
Surgical technologists are typically required to complete some type of formal training program at a vocational school or...
Knoxville, TN, has few schools with programs in surgical technology. Find the best program for you by reading about schools'...
Four schools in the San Jose, CA, area have top ranking surgical technology programs. Read on to find out more about what these...
- Associate of Surgical Technology: Degree Overview
- Surgical Technology Certificate: Program Summary
- Associate of Specialized Technology in Surgical Technology Degree
- Top Graphic Design School - Long Beach, CA
- Media Specialist: Duties, Salary, Outlook and Requirements
- Avionics Quality Engineer: Education and Career Information
- Top Ranked Information Systems Security Degree Program - Columbia, SC
- Associate of Science (AS): Surgical Technology Degree Overview
- Associate in Occupational Science - Surgical Technology Degree
- Student Services Coordinator: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top School in Austin for Becoming an Interior Designer
- Top Medical Assisting Degree Programs - Chicago, IL