Top 10 Animation Schools in the U.S.
Animation college degrees are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Two of the U.S.'s top animation schools are Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and California Institute of the Arts in Valencia. Read on for a list of ten notable animation schools in the U.S.
Top U.S. Animation Schools
1. Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
As of 2010, Carnegie Mellon University was among the U.S.'s top 25 colleges, according to U.S. News and World Report. In 2008, Disney began a 5-year project with the university, whereby CMU would perform animation and robotics research and development to benefit Pixar Animation Studios, Disney theme parks and ESPN. Animation training is offered through the Bachelor of Computer Science and Arts program, which combines a concentration from the School of Computer Science and a second specialization from the College of Fine Arts. Animation majors can take courses in game design, animation technology and art, artificial intelligence development, computer graphics, technical animation and Web applications.
- Address: 5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Phone Number: (412) 268-2000
2. California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) in Valencia
Home to a variety of animation-focused degree programs, CalArts was among Princeton Review's 2010 'Best Western Colleges'; this top-ranked animation college has also been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design since 1972. The school's faculty are full-time professionals, and alumni include such animation notables as Henry Selick, director of James and the Giant Peach, and Eric Darnell, director of Madagascar. At this U.S. college, students can earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Character Animation or Experimental Animation as well as a Master of Fine Arts in Experimental Animation. Depending on the animation major, courses may include stop-motion, 2- and 3-dimensional computer animation, color and design, life drawing, storytelling, dialogue or sound effects.
- Address: 24700 W. McBean Pky., Valencia, CA 91355
- Phone Number: (661) 255-1050
List of Ten Good Animation Schools in the U.S.
|College/University Name||Student Population||Address||Phone Number|
|University of Central Florida||50,121||4000 Central Florida Blvd., Orlando, Florida 32816||(407) 823-2000|
|Brigham Young University||34,244||Main Campus, Provo, Utah 84602||(801) 422-4636|
|University of Southern California||33,747||University Park, Los Angeles, California 90089||(213) 740-2311|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||15,055||One Lomb Memorial Dr., Rochester, New York 14623||(585) 475-2411|
|Carnegie Mellon University||10,875||5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213||(412) 268-2000|
|The Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University||6,690||700 Beacon St., Boston, Massachusetts 02215||(617) 585-6600|
|Pratt Institute||4,946||200 Willoughby Ave., Brooklyn, New York 11205||(718) 636-3600|
|Rhode Island School of Design||2,352||Two College St., Providence, Rhode Island 02903||(401) 454-6100|
|California Institute of the Arts||1,381||24700 W. McBean Pky., Valencia, California 91355||(661) 255-1050|
|Ringling College of Art and Design||1,229||2700 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, Florida 34234||(800) 255-7695|
Related to Top 10 Animation Schools
- Recently Updated
From Wallace and Gromit's stop motion puppeteering to paper cut outs used in Monty Python's Flying Circus or South Park, stop...
Animators and cartoonists work in a variety of settings. Many are affiliated with a larger studio in either motion pictures,...
Completing a degree program in animation can prepare a student for an artistic career in television, film, print or electronic...
Animation coursework is available through certificate, diploma, associate's, bachelor's and master's programs. Students can...
- Associate of Science (AS): Animation Degree Overview
- What Are the Best Animation Graduate Schools?
- Online Animation Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Become a Consumer Advocate: Education and Career Roadmap
- Special Education Instructional Assistant: Job Description and Requirements
- Online Courses in Natural Resource Management: Course Descriptions
- Online Physical Therapy Aide Courses and Classes
- Animation Courses: Top School for Learning Computer Animation - Minneapolis, MN
- Animation Degrees: Top Animation and Video Graphics School - Schaumburg, IL
- Brand Consultant: Job Description and Education Requirements
- Home Improvement Estimator: Job Description and Requirements
- Online Management Courses and Classes Overview