Top Acting Colleges in the United States
Most top acting schools provide conservatory training, in which students work together as a group to learn the art and craft of acting through classes, workshops and performances. Continue reading for more information on some of the top acting schools in the nation.
Top Acting Schools in the U.S.
1. State University of New York (SUNY) - Purchase College in Purchase, NY
SUNY - Purchase College was ranked among the best public schools in the National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings of 2011 by U.S. News and World Report. The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Acting program, offered through the Conservatory of Theatre Arts & Film, is a 4-year course of study, which includes movement, speech, voice, dramatic literature and theater history.
Students are exposed to a wide variety of other areas in acting including improvisation, Lecoq technique and acting for the camera. Designed as a professional actor-training program, the schedule keeps students busy with classes and rehearsals from early in the morning to late at night. The BFA program culminates in the top students being selected to audition for a consortium of producers, agents and casting directors from Los Angeles and New York City.
2. New York University in New York, NY
New York University was ranked 33rd overall among national universities by U.S. News and World Report in 2011. The BFA program in acting at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts provides conservatory training in acting.
Incoming students are placed in one of seven primary studios, such as the Stella Adler School of Acting and the Meisner Studio, where they remain for the first two years of the program. During the second two years, students may choose another studio, such as Atlantic Acting School, Experimental Theatre Wing and Playwrights Horizons Theatre School. Studios focus on areas including musical theater, design, directing and stage management. After the first year, students may audition for several performances, ranging from full-scale productions to experimental theater pieces.
3. American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, CA
The Tony Award-winning American Conservatory Theater is primarily a theater; however, since 1965 it has been a small school for actors wishing to develop their craft. The conservatory has ten studios and a black box studio theater for performances, which are also used as part of the classroom experience. A Master of Fine Arts (MFA) is offered to the 35 students admitted every year. Graduate study is divided between classic and contemporary works of theater, and it culminates in the MFA showcase. Summer courses are also offered through the Summer Training Congress through 5- and 2-week intensive training sessions.
List of Ten Good Acting Colleges in the United States
|American Conservatory Theatre||MFA Showcase||San Francisco, CA|
|Boston University||Boston Center for American Performance (BCAP)||Boston, MA|
|California Institute of the Arts||Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater (REDCAT)||Valencia, CA|
|The Juilliard School||The Scholastic Distinction honors program for undergraduates||New York, NY|
|New York University||Classical Studio and six other studios for students||New York, NY|
|Northwestern University||WAA-MU Show||Evanston, IL|
|SUNY - Purchase College||Four schools offered in the Conservatory of Theatre Arts & Film||Purchase, NY|
|University of California - Irvine||Drama/Theater Guild||Irvine, CA|
|University of Miami||Jerry Herman Ring Theatre||Miami, FL|
|University of Texas at Austin||The Performance as Public Practice (PPP) program||Austin, TX|
Related to Top Acting Schools
- Recently Updated
The non-profit organization buildOn is helping students globally through after-school programs in the United States...
The old school of thought is: find a quiet corner to go off to when reading. But new studies seem to suggest that a...
Learn how to become an actor. Research the education requirements, training information and experience required for...
Actors perform in stage, television and motion picture productions, as well as in a variety of audio and visual...
- Online Acting Classes: How Do They Work?
- List of Free Online Acting Courses, Classes, Lessons and Workshops
- Film, Television and Theatre Acting: Diploma Program Overview
- Top Degree Programs in Biomedical Engineering - Fremont, CA
- Top University for a Degree in Business Administration - Anaheim, CA
- Top University with an Interior Design Degree Program - Cincinnati, OH
- Top School for a Degree in Accounting - Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Theater Acting: Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in Theater Acting
- Performing Arts: Introduction to Acting and Performing Arts Adult Education Programs
- Top University with a Master's Degree in Health Administration - Birmingham, AL
- Top Ranked Master's Program in Educational Leadership - Dallas, TX
- Top Ranked School for a Human Resource Management Degree - Dallas, TX