List of Top Rated Animation Colleges and Universities
Read on to learn about top schools in the country to offer animation programs for students. Discover ranking information about top-rated programs as well as program details to make an informed decision about your education.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, prospective animators often need at least a bachelor's degree to work in the field of animation. Animation degrees are available at the bachelor's and master's degree levels and are often part of a fine arts or arts programs. Two of the country's top-rated animation colleges and universities are the University of Southern California and California Institute of the Arts.
Top-Rated Colleges and Universities for Animation
1. California Institute of the Arts in Valencia
As of 2010, the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) was listed as one of Princeton Review's Best Western Colleges, and the private school is one of the nation's top rated animation colleges. This school has several notable alumni, including Tim Burton and John Lasseter, who is the chief creative officer at Pixar. The School of Film/Video has an animation design studio, which houses specialized editing computers, camera stands, testing centers and printers. Students can earn a Bachelor or Master of Fine Arts in Experimental Animation or a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Character Animation.
2. University of Southern California in Los Angeles
Also located in California, this private research university was ranked #23 among all national schools, according to U.S. News & World Report in 2014. Through the John C. Hench Division of Animation and Digital Arts, students can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Animation and Digital Arts. Concentrations are available in visual effects, character animation, three-dimensional computer animation and interactive animation. USC offers a graduate degree in animation and a 24-credit digital arts and animation minor.
List of 10 Good Animation Colleges and Universities
|Brigham Young University||Students enrolled in the BYU Center for Animation programs have won First Place College Television Awards, a.k.a. the Student Emmys||Provo, UT|
|California Institute of the Arts||In 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked CalArts #6 among all schools offering fine arts programs.||Valencia, CA|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Carnegie Mellon earned a #7 ranking on U.S. News & World Report's 2012 listing of best fine arts schools.||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Drexel University||The school's programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).||Philadelphia, PA|
|Rhode Island School of Design||RISD tied for #2 ranking on U.S. News & World Report's list of best fine arts schools in the country.||Providence, RI|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||The RIT animation facility, The Cage, features labs, studios, production equipment and specialty stations.||Rochester, NY|
|University of Central Florida||Students can enroll in a Character Animation specialization.||Orlando, FL|
|University of Idaho||The school offers a virtual technology and design program with motion-capture systems, 3D projectors and 3D digitizers.||Moscow, ID|
|University of Southern California||USC ranked #8 on U.S. News & World Report's 2014 list of best multimedia/visual communications schools.||Los Angeles, CA|
|University of Utah||The president of Pixar is a Utah alum.||Salt Lake City, UT|
Related to Top Rated Animation Colleges
- Recently Updated
Stop motion animation is the art of creating objects and filming their movements frame by frame. Many individuals get their...
Animators and cartoonists work in a variety of settings. Many are affiliated with a larger studio in either motion pictures,...
Explore undergraduate degree program information for the animation major. Check the educational prerequisites and see the...
Animators work in visual effects design and computer animation production. Coursework in animation is available through both...
- Associate of Science (AS): Animation Degree Overview
- Colleges with a Computer Animation Major: How to Choose
- Online Animation Schools and Colleges: How to Choose
- Top Health Care Administration Degree Programs - Los Angeles, CA
- Export Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Human Resource Management Degree - Albuquerque, NM
- Top School for a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology - Las Vegas, NV
- Careers in Video Game Animation: Job Options and Requirements
- Clay Animation Education and Training Program Information
- Supermarket Cashier: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top Ranked Business Administration Degree Program - Milwaukee, WI
- Top Construction Management Degree Program - Chicago, IL
- Occupational Safety Technician Job Description and Info About Becoming an Occupational Safety Technician
- Technical Writer Job Description and Info for Students Considering a Career As a Tech Writer
- Evanston, Illinois (IL) Colleges
- Digital Music Production Employment Information for Recent Graduates Pursuing a Career in Digital Music Production