Top Ten Music Colleges in the Nation
At some of the U.S.'s best music colleges, skilled singers, songwriters and instrumentalists can often pursue undergraduate or graduate degrees in music or musical arts. Most music colleges throughout the nation provide training in specialized areas, such as voice, piano or guitar. Read on for more information on some of the best of the best.
The Nation's Top Music Colleges
1. The Juilliard School in New York, New York
Since its opening in 1905, the Juilliard School has earned a national reputation for educational excellence in the performing arts, including music. Incidentally, this top music school has collaborated with two area colleges, Columbia University and Barnard College, to provide training to non-Juilliard students who successfully audition. At Juilliard, individuals can pursue a Bachelor of Music (B.M.), a Master of Music (M.M.), a special combined B.M./M.M. or a Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.), and undergraduate diploma programs and graduate diplomas are also available for exceptional music students. Some of the specializations offered at this top music college include orchestral instruments, jazz studies, harpsichord, piano, guitar, organ and voice.
2. Manhattan School of Music in New York, NY
Situated in the heart of New York City, the Manhattan School of Music has been offering music education since 1917, serving approximately 800 students every year. Several levels of education are offered, from pre-college-age students taking weekend courses to students pursuing a doctoral degree in music. Undergraduates may major in every instrument from the bassoon to the violin in jazz and classical programs, and students take courses in music theory, history and humanities courses, in addition to performances and competitions. Graduate students pursuing the Master of Music (M.M.) degree have the option of focusing their studies in the Orchestral Performance Program, while those interested in music education can pursue a Master of Arts (M.A.) in that field in cooperation with the Teachers College at Columbia University. A Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) is also offered.
3. Yale University in New Haven, CT
In 2011, U.S. News and World Report ranked this school the third-best college in the nation, and the Princeton Review named it a 'Top Ten Best Value Private College.' This top music school has a selective admissions process, which requires students to demonstrate musicianship skills through recorded samples, live auditions and entry exams. Yale School of Music offers graduate degrees, including a M.M., a Master of Musical Arts (M.M.A.) and a D.M.A. The school also offers a combined Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)/Master of Music (M.M.) program. Musical arts students concentrate on composition or performance, and those who major in performance can specialize in voice, piano, harp, guitar, flute, violin, percussion or trumpet, to name a few.
List of Ten Good Music Colleges in the U.S.
|Name of School||Distinction||Location|
|Berklee College of Music||First music school to teach jazz as part of its curriculum in the U.S.||Boston, MA|
|Bucknell University||The scholarships offered to music majors||Lewisburg, PA|
|DePauw University||The DePauw opera program||Greencastle, IN|
|Furman University||The Maxwell Music Library||Greenville, SC|
|The Juilliard School||The Julliard Manuscript Collection||New York, NY|
|Manhattan School of Music||The Center for Music Entrepreneurship's programs, projects and internships||New York, NY|
|Oberlin College and Conservatory||Oldest music conservatory in the United States||Oberlin, OH|
|University of Texas at Austin||The Center for American Music's relationship with the city of Austin, considered to be the 'live music capital of the world'||Austin, TX|
|Vanderbilt University||Eight concert series available every year||Nashville, TN|
|Yale University||International programs in music, including the Musicathlon||New Haven, CT|
Related to Top Ten Music Colleges
- Recently Updated
For the past three months, Education-Portal.com's Education Insider has been tracking the experience of a...
Education Insider talks a lot about OpenCourseWare (OCW), but maybe it's time we put it to the test. Therefore, over...
Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 3: Octave Equivalence, Circular Pitch Systems and the Major Triad
Education-Portal.com is a huge supporter of the open education movement, and want to educate you, our readers, on how...
Education Insider talks a lot about OpenCourseWare (OCW), so we decided to put some to the test. Therefore, over ten...
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 6: Pythagorean Tuning and the Pure Triad
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 9: A 12-Tone Pythagorean Set
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 8: Tuning with Pure Major and Minor Triads
- Top Criminal Justice Program - Miami, FL
- Top Ranked MIS Degree Program - Henderson, NV
- Top Ranked School for a Degree in Health Care Management - Colorado Springs, CO
- Top Ranked School for Teacher Education and School Administration - Colorado Springs, CO
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 10: Temperaments, Roots of 2 and Conclusions
- Diary of an OCW Music Student, Week 5: Building a Diatonic Set
- Top Master's Degree Program in Health Care Management - Columbus, OH
- Best School for a Business Administration Degree - Kansas City, MO
- Top Accounting and Finance MBA Programs - Columbus, OH
- Health Administration Top School for a Career in Health Care Management and Administration - Pittsburgh PA
- Top Ranked School for Special Effects and Animation Training - Torrance CA
- Banking Education Top School with Career Education for the Banking and Lending Industry - Charlotte NC
- General Contractor Course