Universities in Washington, DC, for a Public Administration Doctorate
There are two schools within about five miles of Washington, D.C. that have public administration doctorates available. Read an overview of their program requirements and find out which university is the right one for you.
Washington D.C. Public Administration Schools
Doctoral-level programs in public administration, as well as in other subjects, often focus on research and academia. To get more in-depth information about this type of degree, take a look at the following coursework details for two universities. Be sure to also take a moment to review the table of stats to learn more about each school. Also included are some details on other relevant program options in the area.
- Of the two private universities on this list, The George Washington University has the largest student population. The school offers students a broad-ranging Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program that covers many aspects of public policy and public administration. The campus is less than two miles from downtown D.C.
- Located roughly five miles from central Washington D.C., American University also has a doctorate degree program in public administration. This degree program prepares students for careers in public policy research and teaching.
The George Washington University
The Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration at The George Washington University is a research-focused institute that connects students with international scholars and researchers who specialize in policy and administration. Students also learn about leadership and its role in developing policy for the public's benefit. About 25% of students come from outside the United States and many students are mid-level professionals who have experience in policy and administration. The graduate degree can be completed on a part-time or full-time basis.
Ph.D. in Public Policy and Public Administration
Students in this degree program will take numerous classes on research methods and statistics so that they can understand how research is used to set public policy. Within the degree program, students can take classes in specific disciplines that cover education policy, health policy, program evaluation, public budgeting and finance. These classes are meant to prepare students for leadership positions that promote democratic governance and help the public. By the end of the degree program, students need to pass examinations and complete a dissertation in order to receive the Ph.D.
Through weekly research seminars and one-on-one mentoring with faculty, the university's Department of Public Administration and Policy trains students on how to conduct research. Students have the opportunity to take part in research conferences and submit scholarly work to academic journals. In addition, students engage in professional development through workshops that cover grant writing and job hunting.
Ph.D. in Public Administration
The Ph.D. program is meant to give students the opportunity to specialize in their preferred areas of public administration. Students focus on public administration as their primary major, but also have the option of declaring a second major in law and society, public policy, American politics, justice or comparative politics. In addition to majors, students can minor in one of these five areas. There's also the option for students to study in environmental policy and nonprofit management. Throughout the degree program, students engage in public administration research to understand how research can be applied to policy development. All students take comprehensive examinations and submit research papers to earn their degrees.
Comparison of Schools
Use this table to compare facts and figures for the two universities. The information on tuition rates, enrollment numbers, acceptance rates and more could help one school stand out in your search.
|The George Washington University||American University|
|School Type||4-year; private; not-for-profit||4-year; private; not-for-profit|
|Total Enrollment (2011)||25,260*||12,724*|
|Campus Setting||Large city||Large city|
|Tuition & Fees||$1,340 per credit (as of fall 2012)**||$1,348 per credit (2011-12)***|
|% of First-Year Students Receiving Some Form of Financial Aid (2011)||73%*||80%*|
|Acceptance Rate (2011)||32%*||42%*|
|Retention Rate (2011)||94% for full time students*||90% for full time students*|
|Graduation Rate (2011)||81%*||77%*|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **The George Washington University, ***American University
There are no other schools in the District of Columbia area that offer doctorate degrees in public administration. However, students who want to earn master's degrees can check out Howard University, located about three miles outside of downtown Washington, D.C. or Trinity Washington University, which is about four miles away. The University of the District of Columbia is a public university about five miles away from downtown.
Related to Universities Offering Doctorate in Public Administration in Washington DC
- Recently Updated
Students interested in studying public administration in Washington, DC, have many schools to choose from. Read about the top...
Find information about programs in public administration, which teach students how to formulate and implement government...
The University of Maryland - College Park is about seven miles from Washington, D.C., in College Park, MD. The university...
For those who are interested in what makes computers work and the potential that computers create, a degree in computer science...
- Top Rated School with a Software Programming Degree - Washington, DC
- Top School for Becoming a Web Designer - Washington, DC
- Top Graphic Design School in Washington, DC
- Top Ranked Human Resource Management Degree - Arlington, VA
- Top School for a Public Administration Degree - San Jose, CA
- Bank Compliance Officer: Job Duties, Job Description & Salary Info
- Top Ranked School for Business Administration - Mesa, AZ
- Top College in Washington, DC, for Marketing Courses
- Top College in Washington, DC, for Global Management Courses
- Environmental Service Technician: Job Description & Requirements
- Top School Offering a Business Administration Major - Oklahoma City, OK
- Top School for a Degree in Business Finance - Colorado Springs, CO