Universities Offering Ph.D. Distance Education Degree Programs
Distance education Ph.D. programs typically combine online course offerings with some sort of required residencies, seminars, research projects or internships. Doctor of Philosophy degree programs are available in many academic and professional areas. Potential careers for Ph.D. graduates depend on the area study but could include psychologist, human resource manager, principal and nurse educator.
What Universities Offer Ph.D. Distance Education Degree Programs?
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree is the highest academic degree awarded for many fields of study. While often used interchangeably, a Ph.D. degree and a doctoral degree are not the same thing. A Ph.D. is a type of doctoral degree, but there are other kinds of doctoral degrees besides the Ph.D.
Distance education programs that culminate in a Doctor of Philosophy degree are offered primarily through private, for-profit universities. Such programs are available in a number of academic areas, including business, information technology, higher education leadership and general psychology.
Distance Education Ph.D. Program Requirements
While most of the courses and requirements for distance learning Ph.D. programs can be completed remotely, many programs require students to complete lab work, research, internships, residencies or clinical work on campus or at third party locations. Typically, students complete some courses online and make arrangements with the school to fulfill other program requirements. Check the school's admissions department for more detail.
Some examples of schools that offer Ph.D. programs for distance learners include the University of Phoenix, Capella University and Walden University. These schools have large student populations and some of the most robust offerings at the Ph.D. level.
Sample Distance Education Ph.D. Program
Some examples of online Doctor of Philosophy programs include Ph.D. in Nursing, Ph.D. in Education, Ph.D. in Management and Ph.D. in Public Health. Below is an example of the requirements for a distance education Ph.D. in Management with an emphasis in information systems management:
- Foundation and core courses: 30 credits
- Foundation research sequence: 16 credits
- Information systems management specialization: 24 credits
- Proposal, dissertation and oral presentation: 30 credits
- 20 days residency (in person opportunities to interact with staff, faculty, advisers and other students)
Related to MBA Distance Education
- Recently Updated
With healthcare costs expected to rise, insurance companies and government agencies are trying to promote healthy...
For the past several decades, colleges and universities have relied more heavily on adjunct faculty - essentially...
Art education programs train students to become teachers at the primary, secondary and postsecondary levels. Scholarly...
Research doctoral degrees in higher education administration. Get information on prerequisites, courses and salary to...
- Ph.D. in Literacy Education: Degree Program Info
- Ph.D. in Urban Education: Doctoral Degree Program Overview
- What Can I Do With a PHD in Education?
- Child Prodigy Adora Svitak Speaks with Education-Portal.com
- Vermont (VT): Colleges, Career Schools, and Universities
- Top Ranked School for Court Reporting - Columbus, OH
- Top School for an Associate Degree in CAD Drafting and Architectural Design - Atlanta, GA