Universities Offering Ph.D. Distance Education Degree Programs
Distance education Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs typically combine online course offerings with required residencies, seminars, research projects or internships. Online Ph.D. programs are available in many academic and professional areas, including management, psychology and business.
What Universities Offer Ph.D. Distance Education Degree Programs?
A Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is the highest academic degree awarded for many fields of study. While often used interchangeably, a Ph.D. and a doctoral degree are not the same degree. A Ph.D. is a type of doctoral degree, but there are other kinds of doctoral degrees besides the Ph.D., such as a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or a Juris Doctor (J.D.).
Many distance education programs that culminate in a Doctor of Philosophy are offered through private, for-profit universities. Such programs are available in a number of academic areas, including business, information technology, higher education leadership and general psychology.
Some examples of schools that offer Ph.D. programs for distance learners include Capella University and Walden University. These schools have large student populations and some of the most robust offerings at the Ph.D. level.
While most of the courses and requirements for distance learning Ph.D. programs can be completed remotely, many programs require students to complete lab work, research, internships, residencies or clinical work on campus or at third party locations. Typically, students complete some courses online and make arrangements with the school to fulfill other program requirements onsite. Check with the school's admissions department for more details.
Some examples of online Doctor of Philosophy programs include a Ph.D. in Nursing, a Ph.D. in Education, a Ph.D. in Management and a Ph.D. in Public Health. Below is an example of the requirements for a distance education Ph.D. in Business Management with an emphasis in information technology (IT) management:
- Foundation and core courses: 44 quarter credits
- IT management specialization courses: 20 quarter credits
- Elective courses: 32 quarter credits
- Comprehensive exam and dissertation courses: 24 quarter credits
- 12 days in residency (in-person opportunities to interact with staff, faculty, advisers and other students)
Related to MBA Distance Education
- Recently Updated
Read about the top universities that offer history Ph.D. programs. Compare and contrast school rankings, specialization options...
For the past several decades, colleges and universities have relied more heavily on adjunct faculty - essentially part-time...
Learn about Ph.D. programs in literacy education. Get information on doctoral degrees, course requirements and career prospects...
Art education Ph.D. programs train students to become teachers at the postsecondary level. Scholarly research is vital to the...
- Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration: Degree Program Overview
- Ph.D. in Special Education Leadership: Degree Program Information
- What Can I Do With a PhD in Education?
- Top Business Finance Degree Programs - San Diego, CA
- Top School in San Francisco for Programming Courses
- Become a Reading Teacher: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Top Ranked University Degree Program in MIS - Fort Worth, TX