Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Transcript
Careers in nutrition include career titles such as dietician and nutritionist. Both job titles describe a person who is concerned with clients' overall health through proper diet and fitness. This video provides an overview nutrition careers.
Practitioners of nutrition and dietetics promote health through the managing of nutrition and food . They ensure the food you eat is healthy by preparing and implementing customized food and nutrition programs. In larger institutions, they prepare and supervise meals, while more experienced nutritionists and dieticians manage food service systems or conduct research.
Job Skills and Duties
Nutritionists and dieticians need good interpersonal skills to work with the public as well as organizations and institutions. For example, they may provide nutrition education classes on food safety, teaching a wide audience, or they might consult with a person one-on-one concerning weight loss. In medical settings nutritionists and dieticians might focus more on the clinical aspect of nutrition. For example, in a hospital, they need to have extensive medical knowledge concerning nutrition-related diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes or Crohn's disease . Dieticians and nutritionists may also work in a school setting, aiding in the planning of healthy meals and snacks for students.
Nutrition and dietetics requirements vary depending upon the state you intend to work in. Some states have few or no requirements, while others are much more stringent. Many require a license or certification. Education at the college or university level is an excellent way to obtain training to become licensed as a nutritionist or dietician. Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate level degrees in Nutrition are offered at various college and universities across the United States. For the student hoping to stand out among the crowd, the American Dietetic Association (or ADA) grants a registered dietician credential for those who pass the required coursework and exam, as well as have enough supervised experience.
Within the field of nutrition and dietetic services there are many specializations. Common specializations include clinical, community, management and consultant dieticians. More than half of all nutrition and dietician jobs are in medical facilities such as hospitals or doctor's offices.. Other areas of employment include private practices, special food services, and the local, state or federal government. With the wide variety of career options, nutrition and dietetics make an excellent career choice for those who are interested in working with people to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
[#1] The American Dietetic Association (ADA), www.eatright.org
[#2] Healthline, www.healthline.com
[#3] The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), www.bls.gov
Dietician and Nutritionist Degree Programs and Career Video Related Articles
- Recently Updated
A dietician is a professional who gives nutritional advice to clients looking to manage their weight, improve physical performance or...
Students will find online dietetics programs offered at several colleges and universities; areas of focus vary. Most of the online programs...
Anything in excess isn't healthy, and alcohol is no exception. If you're a college student who tends to drink regularly, you should be...
Read information about various certificate programs designed for aspiring or professional nutritionists. Find out details about levels of...
Learn how to become a canine nutritionist. Research the education and career requirements, licensure information and experience required for...
- Dietician Online College Degree
- Online Dietician Degree
- Dietician Courses
- Work As a Registered Dietician
- Clinical Dietician
- Diet and Nutrition School
- How to Become a Culinary Nutritionist: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- How to Become a Sports Nutritionist
- Overview of Registered Dietician Courses and Classes
- Natural Nutritionist Certification Information
- How to Become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist: Career Guide
- Top School in Charlotte with Banking and Lending Career Education
- Top Ranked School for Information Technology - San Jose, CA
- Career Information for a Degree in Marketing Management
- Top Culinary School in Philadelphia for Becoming a Pastry Chef
- Top School in Sioux Falls, SD, for an Information Systems Security Bachelor's Degree
There are 4 schools within Alaska that have EMT paramedic training programs. Read an overview of these schools' programs, requirements, and...
Railroad yardmasters require little formal education. Learn about the training, job duties and requirements to see if this is the right...
- Industrial Design Certificate Programs in Seattle
- Tax Preparer Educational Requirements to Be a Tax Accounting Professional
- Biomedical Informatics Degrees in Duluth, GA
- Global Management Courses Top College with Courses in Global Management and International Business - Washington DC
- Public Health Social Worker Educational Requirements