State of Washington University System Overview
Although there's no single university system in the state of Washington, there are six public 4-year universities. The University of Washington and Washington State University are the largest schools, offering baccalaureate through professional degree programs at several campuses across the state. Students can also earn undergraduate and graduate degrees at one of the four other public universities in Washington.
What Schools Are in the State of Washington University System?
The state of Washington is home to six public 4-year colleges and universities; however, there is not an official Washington State university system. The two largest public universities in this state, the University of Washington and Washington State University, offer degree programs at seven different locations that include both urban and rural settings.
University of Washington
The University of Washington (UW) is one of the oldest public universities on the West Coast. As Washington State's flagship university, UW enrolled almost 44,000 students at its main campus alone as of 2012. Degrees are offered at the bachelor's, master's, doctoral and professional levels through many different colleges, including its renowned schools of medicine and law. The university also offers professional and continuing education programs to working individuals who'd like to complete an undergraduate degree or earn an advanced certificate or master's degree. The main campus is in the University District near the heart of downtown Seattle. UW also has campuses in Tacoma and Bothell and offers continuing education courses at locations throughout the state.
- Address: 1400 N.E. Campus Pkwy., Seattle, WA 98195
- Phone Number: (206) 543-2100
Washington State University
Washington State University (WSU) is consistently ranked among the top 100 public national universities by U.S. News & World Report; it was ranked 63rd in 2014. The Carnegie Foundation also classifies WSU as one of around 100 public and private American universities with exceptionally high research activity. WSU also features a state-of-the-art teaching hospital run by the College of Veterinary Medicine. In 2012, the university enrolled more than 27,000 students statewide in over 200 undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. WSU's main campus is in Pullman, and it also offers satellite campuses in Spokane, Vancouver and the Tri-Cities area in southeastern Washington.
- Address: French Administration Building, Pullman, WA 99164
- Phone Number: (509) 335-2564
Other Public Universities
In addition to UW and WSU, there are four public comprehensive universities and colleges in the state of Washington. Each institution offers a variety of certificates and degrees at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
|School Name||Student Population||Institution Type|
|Western Washington University||14,833||4-year, Public|
|Central Washington University||11,268||4-year, Public|
|Eastern Washington University||12,587||4-year, Public|
|The Evergreen State College||4,509||4-year, Public|
Source: National Center for Education Statistics, 2012.
Related to Washington University Edu
- Recently Updated
Washington State's population grew nearly four percent between 2010 and 2013 to almost 7 million residents, based on U.S....
Everett, Washington, is in Snohomish Country. Residents in Everett have access to several community colleges, two campuses of...
Last month, Washington Governor Chris Gregoire signed into effect a law that allows employers to give veterans hiring...
Bellevue, Washington, is located just east of Seattle. Bellevue has one public college and is within easy reach of several...
- Washington State Job Outlook & Overview of the Fastest Growing Careers
- Washington (WA): Universities and Career Education Overview
- All About the GED: Washington
- Renal Dialysis Nurse: Education Requirements and Career Overview
- Top School in Roanoke, VA, for a Network Security Administration Degree
- Top University for a Degree in Business Administration - Irvine, CA
- Top School for a Public Administration Degree - Fremont, CA
- Promoting Campus Environmentalism: University of Washington Student Martin Su Wins a Husky Green Award
- University of Washington to Close Budget By Accepting More Out-of-State Students
- Medical Records Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top University for a Degree in Information Technology - Anaheim, CA
- Risk Analyst: Job Description & Career Info
Perfect School Search
- Washington Cities
- Nearby States
- Bellevue, WA Schools
- Bellingham, WA Schools
- Bothell, WA Schools
- Bremerton, WA Schools
- Cheney, WA Schools
- Ellensburg, WA Schools
- Everett, WA Schools
- Federal Way, WA Schools
- Lynnwood, WA Schools
- Pullman, WA Schools
- Renton, WA Schools
- Seattle, WA Schools
- Spokane, WA Schools
- Spokane Valley, WA Schools
- Tacoma, WA Schools
- Tukwila, WA Schools
- Vancouver, WA Schools