Education Required to Be a Computer Engineer
Computer engineers require some formal education. Learn about degree programs, job duties and certification to see if this is the right career for you.
Computer engineers might work on any aspect of computer systems engineering, from hardware to software. Their duties might include designing computer systems, troubleshooting existing systems and developing applications to meet a client's needs.
Computer engineers must have at least a bachelor's degree and some internship experience to get a full-time job in the industry. Many computer engineers prove their skills by obtaining professional certification.
|Required Education||Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related field|
|Other Requirements||Internship or relevant job experience|
|Projected Job Growth (2012-2022)*||7% (computer hardware engineers); 22% (computer software developers)|
|Median Salary (2013)*||$104,250 (computer hardware engineers; $93,470 (computer software engineers, systems software); $85,430 (computer software engineers, applications)|
Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Computer engineers might work with software, hardware or applications and system development. They work to fulfill user needs based on usability, function and logic. Job duties include conceptualizing and designing new systems based on the needs of the end user, testing and troubleshooting various aspects of computer systems, including hardware, software programs and networking systems. Computer engineers also might be involved in the development of software, particularly from a hardware support and feasibility consulting position.
Generally, a bachelor's degree is the minimum education required of a computer engineer. Most employers require students to hold a bachelor's degree in computer science, computer programming, computer engineering, computer information systems, electrical engineering or a similar computer-related field. Employers have a strong preference for graduates with computer programming skills and a familiarity with a range of programming languages.
Taking an internship under the supervision of an experienced computer engineering professional is the best way to learn the skills and technical applications needed to be a computer engineer. Many internship programs are available for college credit in any given major. Internships offer hands-on experience to otherwise inexperienced amateurs in the field. Most employers will not hire a computer engineer who does not have some relevant experience.
Voluntary professional certification for computer engineers is offered through the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). Certification can serve as a boost for those looking to accelerate their career. A bachelor's degree in addition to work experience is required to apply for the exam; a passing score on the written exam qualifies an individual as a Certified Software Development Professional (CSDP).
Related to Computer Engineer Required Education
- Recently Updated
Computer engineers require a significant amount of formal education. Learn about the degree requirements as well as the salary...
Four schools in the Pomona, CA, area have top ranking computer engineering programs. Read on to find out more about what these...
Learn how to become a computer software engineer. Research the education and career requirements, training and certification...
Learn how to become a computer science engineer. Research the job description and the education requirements and find out how...
- Computer Hardware Engineer: Career Info & Requirements
- Be a Computer Network Engineer: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Computer Systems Engineer: Job & Career Info
- Information Security Specialist: Education Requirements and Career Info
- Salary and Career Info for an Athletic Trainer
- Top College in Wichita for a Computer Programming Degree
- Crisis Manager: Job Description, Duties and Requirements
- Top College for Becoming a Computer Software Engineer - Honolulu, HI
- Top College for Becoming a Computer Software Engineer - Miami, FL
- Land Planner: Job Description, Duties and Salary
- Top Computer Engineering Degree Program in Richmond, VA
- Medical Communications Careers: Job Options and Requirements
- Health Care Technician Job Duties and Requirements for Becoming a Health Care Tech
- English Class Chicago
- Municipal Clerk Employment Information for Students Considering a Career As a Municipal Clerk
- Kitchen Design Job Description and Information About Starting a Career in the Kitchen Designing Professions